Saturday, April 21, 2012

Lean not on your own understanding...

Truly we never know what a day will bring forth. This morning I woke up fully expecting a normal Saturday of work at the job I love.

For the past almost eight months I have been working in the home of a dear sweet elderly couple in their 90's. They are both like grandparents to me, and I have been so blessed with such an encouraging place to work. Not too many jobs allow you to play your audio bible and listen to hymns while you work. To make a good situation better, my hours were even doubled just before I arrived home from GA. I was so amazed by this and felt I knew what the Lord had planned for me there. 

But this evening I received word from one of their daughters that they feel there needs to be someone working there with at least some nursing training (Mrs. Leavitt has had some health issues arise over the last few months), and I am now suddenly without a job. 

I was so discouraged when I hung up the phone. I just felt like sitting on my bed and crying. I love the Leavitts and have enjoyed my time with them so much that this was a huge disappointment for me. I went to my room and immediately started to question what God was doing. 

Why me, Lord? 

Why now? 

How am I going to meet my expenses?

Where am I going to find another job? 

Then I remembered the amazing way the Lord had worked to provide me this job, and how thankful I was at that time. His timing had been so perfect. Is His timing any less perfect because in this case I can't yet see what He is doing? No, it isn't.

He IS still in control. 

His way IS still perfect. 

He knows what is BEST for me. 

So I prayed. I thanked the Lord for the eight months I've had with the Leavitts, admitted that I don't see what He is doing, and asked Him for wisdom to know what my next steps should be and for faith to trust in His perfect plan. 

I felt as if a very heavy weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. And the LORD brought these verses to my mind. 

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths." 
-Proverbs 3:5-6

After my time with the Lord, I went to church where we are having special meetings this weekend. The service tonight was a blessing, but the fellowship time afterwards was especially sweet. A few of my close friends and I gathered around the piano and sang to the Lord. It was just what I needed. To take my eyes off of my problems and lift them to Christ. 

Are the days ahead uncertain? Yes. 

Will the Lord be there with me for every step? Absolutely.

ISN'T THAT ENOUGH? 



P.S. Your prayers for me would be appreciated. Please pray for wisdom for what the Lord would have me do, and that this time would be a special time of growth for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment